Referrals for LSVT
We appreciate the interest of medical professionals in our evidence-based treatment protocols for adults with Parkinson disease and children and adults with other neurological conditions.
LSVT LOUD®; and LSVT BIG®; are globally standardized treatment protocols delivered by over 10,000 speech, physical and occupational therapists in 54 countries around the world. It is essential that all LSVT LOUD or LSVT BIG treatments are delivered by clinicians who are certified in these programs.
LSVT ®; Programs are founded on extensively published research (for a review see Fox et al, 2012). Treatments delivered by LSVT Certified Clinicians consist of the following:
- Four consecutive LSVT LOUD or LSVT BIG sessions a week, for four consecutive weeks
- Sessions are individual one-hour treatment sessions
- Daily homework practice (all 30 days of the month)
- Daily carryover assignments (all 30 days of the month)
- A singular focus on amplitude (increased loudness in speech; bigger whole body movements)
- A focus on sensory recalibration to assist in generalization of increased loudness and bigger movements outside of the treatment room.
There are no “modified” LSVT protocols. If treatment does not match these standards, your patient is not receiving LSVT.
To refer a patient to an LSVT Certified Clinician, visit the “Find a Clinician” page and search for LSVT Certified Clinicians in your area or the area of your patient.
A physician’s prescription for a medically necessary evaluation and treatment (4 days a week for 4 weeks) can assist patients in accessing LSVT LOUD or LSVT BIG. Ideally, your patients should see an LSVT Clinician face-to-face for a complete evaluation to determine if LSVT Programs are appropriate and prescribe treatment accordingly.
For LSVT LOUD, if a Certified Clinician is not available in your patient’s area, LSVT LOUD is available in select states via telepractice using the internet and webcam technology (LSVT eLOUD ™). The speech-language clinician interacts with patients in their home or office “live” through an online webcam connection. LSVT eLOUD Certified Clinicians are listed in the “Find A Clinician” database.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions, and we will be glad to assist you in whatever way possible.